Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Walk in the Wild Wood

I walk in the woods almost every day. I'm amazed how they can be so different from one day to the next. Or one moment to the next.

At Smith Farm yesterday, at first the woods looked so serene.


We're finally seeing some fall colors.


But what else do we see? A closer look reveals some less-than-serene sights (odd creatures? sculpture?) in the woods:





Is it any wonder that the scariest parts of fairy tales take place in the woods?
~

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

There is a twisted Oak near the end of my driveway. Every time look at it, I think about that tree in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It has a way of grabbing my attention.

4:52 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Cool trees. Very nice shots. Like that last line, too!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

Wow! That last one looks like a praying mantis!
Cool.....

8:06 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

It reminds me of Snow White!

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The woods are great during the day but would never want to be lost there at night. It would make me just lay down and cry.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home