Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Into the Woods

by Melody Sundance
(19-year-old TWH mare)


Today my owner's cousin Mary came to ride me. She'd heard about the mowed trails and decided to take me into the woods. We started off down the gravel road (which had just been scraped, so I stayed in the grass rather than on the ouchy gravel). I didn't like going by Mocha's kennel (he barks), but Mary persuaded me that I really didn't want to go home, so I kept going for a mile until we got to the farm.

My owner was waiting for us and took some pictures. The wind was blowing pretty hard, so I wasn't sure I really wanted to go on the trails, but Mary persuaded me to keep going. In the picture below, I'm studying the trail. You can tell I don't look too happy. Mary doesn't look all that thrilled either.


However, I figured if she was game, so was I. So, we went through the front hayfield.


In the picture below, we're in the middle hayfield. This is near where the trail starts. In a few days, all this hay will be cut and baled.


Before long we went into the woods. The wind wasn't so bad in the woods, and I was a lot happier. I think Mary was, too.


We went on some trails I hadn't traveled for years. We went up and down some steep hills, but I did fine. I think Mary was surprised that I walk up and down hills instead of running. We had to go around some downed trees and some heavy brush and maybe we got lost a few times, but Mary finally figured the way out.

When we got home a few miles later, I wasn't even breathing hard. Mary told my owner that when she let me gait, I did my flat walk nicely.

The trails have changed a lot since the last time I was on them, but it was good to go into the woods.
~

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Hey, it's Bullet. Would you like to go out on a date sometime? I'll come over and we can take a stroll, perhaps go for a bite of grass. Sure seems like there's plenty of it over there. The old man, Doc, might come along. He's kind of cranky but harmless.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. So Doc would be the chaperone? Did you notice I'm old enough to vote and threfore don't need to be chaperoned?

(Actually Doc's kind of cute. I like tall chestnuts.)

—Melody

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home