Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Color of summer

I'm at the Appalachian Writers Conference now. Some buildings have wi-fi, so I can post to the blog.

I took these pictures of lillies in my yard the day before I left. We're in mid-summer, but the colors say autumn.


The lillies pictured above are from some seeds my friend Sally gave me. I don't know the name. Sally just called them "multi-colored lillies." The lillies pictured below came from my mother's yard in Roanoke when I moved to Franklin County in 1999.


Many of my flowers started elsewhere before they became mine.

I guess my ideas start elsewhere, too. They take root in my mind and bloom in my writing.

In the middle of summer, I imagine autumn.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

This is true and I like the symbolism made with your lilies.

I too have been thinking of autumn. I can't wait as we never had the luxury of fall leaves or appropriatly cool weather down there.

I am glad I am not the only one...

12:41 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Beautiful pictures and I too like the symbolism. Pretty little piece of writing.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home