Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Rejected but not Dejected

I received a rejection for More Peevish Advice in today's mail but I wasn't surprised. I'd been expecting it. I'd met the agent at the James River Writers Conference and had actually pitched a different manuscript. But when I told her that I was thinking of PODing More Peevish Advice, she asked for the first 10 pages. What the heck, I thought, and sent them.

I'm pleased that this agent with the Donald Maass Literary Agency (a biggie!) wrote such a nice, personal rejection:

Dear Becky,

Thanks for the opportunity to read the opening pages of More Peevish Advice. I appreciate your advice while I've considered it.

The writing here is really fun, but I don't think I'm the right agent for this. I can't see it having broad appeal, and I'm just not sure how to sell it. I'm going to pass on More Peevish Advice, but thanks for sharing it!

Please accept my best wishes for your project's success.
I figured that my redneck humor would be a hard sell in Noo Yawk. Looks like I'll go back to my original plan to do More Peevish Advice as a POD book. It might be a hard sell in Noo Yawk, but it'll sell to the former Noo Yawkers, Noo Jerseyites, and other yankees who now live at Smith Mountain Lake.

Was that a classy rejection, or what?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a classy rejection because of the abundant clues that a human took real time to respond to a real person! Nice job....

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home