Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Civil War Days 2012

I've mentioned before that I'm fascinated about how life was in the old-timey days. The Civil War took place during my grandparents' grandparents' time. I've blogged before about my great-great-grandfather, John Christian Nace, who was in 22nd Virginia.

On Sunday, September 22, I went to the Civil War Day at Lakewatch Plantation. My cousin Anthony Chitwood was there with his wife Cissy . . .


 . . . and a cannon he'd recently purchased.


He showed us another cannon that was nearby.


The participants had spent the night before in their tents:




Before long I went looking for the horses. There weren't as many as the previous year. Still, I got a good luck at them. The saddles didn't look all that comfortable.





"Robert E. Lee" saddled "Traveler."


Not all the re-enactors were full grown.



Before long, the soldiers had mounted and the cannons were placed on the field.







Then the battle began. The cannons were loud and smoke filled the air.





Not all the soldiers were on the filed. This young sniper hid behind the trees and fired at Yankees.


After the battle:


In case you're in the mood for some Civil War music, I found this video on You-Tube:


~

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

Nice music! Love that violin at the beginning of that video.

Enjoyed your pictures and the Civil War event. I have been to a couple of those and they are very interesting.

4:09 PM  
Blogger R.M. said...

thanks for sharing. I, too, wonder what life was like 'when ladies wore long dresses.' EVERYTHING would have been difficult - things we take for granted were an ordeal. The kitchen was probably the most dangerous, hazardous place.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home