Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dawn Ritual


At dawn, I feed the critters and turn Melody into the front pasture for a bit. Then I grab a cup of coffee and go out to get the paper. As I walk down the driveway to get the newspaper, I can see the sun coming up over Smith Mountain. This morning, May 29, a cloud rests on the mountain.


The peach tree by the mailbox hangs heavy with peaches. They're small yet, but it won't be long until they're edible.


I get the paper and turn back to the west. The crape myrtles that I planted a few years ago have gotten larger. They won't bloom for a while yet. Stray clouds dot the sky.


My coffee cup awaits me on the gazebo's railing. Do you see it?


And the gazebo welcomes me to sit and read the paper.


This morning Chloe joins me.



The lavender's bloom looks pink in the morning light.


The wisteria, redbuds, and forsythia that surround the gazebo glow in the early morning light.


I sit for a while, sip my coffee, and read the paper. Then the sun is full up and the day begins.


~

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger CatSlave said...

How perfectly lovely and peaceful. Thank you for sharing your morning.

8:49 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

So pleasant! What a paradise you've carved out for yourself.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Those peaches look fabulous! I wish I was there!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Tricia said...

I agree with the other comments---such a paradise! Thank you for sharing your morning. :)

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home