Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Spreading My Word

This summer, I've been out and about telling kids about Ferradiddledumday, my Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin tale. In late June, I visited the first session of the Smith Mountain Lake Good Neighbors Summer Camp, where I told my story and answered questions about being an author and how I wrote the book. I took a few of my props with me.

The little stuffed horse who snores was a big hit. On the way out, a bunch of kids just had to touch his hoof and make him snore.


Two weeks ago,  I spent two days at West End Center in Roanoke with the inner city kids from kindergarten through sixth grade. I took my laptop so I could show them the illustrations for the book.


I read from my work and answered questions. And, boy, did they have questions. They'd thought of questions the day before and their teacher Ms. Rayburn had compiled them and printed them out. The kids had some tough questions. Here are a few:




I tried to answer as many questions as I could in the time alloted, but it was a challenge.

Last Tuesday, I did another presentation for another group of Smith Mountain Lake Good Neighbors Summer Campers. This time my illustrator, Bruce Rae, helped me act out the story. Again, the kids were enthusiastic, and they loved their books and bookmarks. The snoring horse was again a hit.

My hints for authors who are speaking to kids: Be prepared for all manner of questions.


And never underestimate the power of a snoring horse.
~

2 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I finally got your book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I gave my copy to my next door neighbor who is the librarian at a local elementary school. I recommended it for the school library.

9:32 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

I think you are doing an excellent job promoting your book. You are a great role model.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home