Getting a Blog Award
Amy of The Virginia Scribe awarded me the Premios Dardos Award for bloggers “who distinguish themselves for showing cultural values, ethics, great and fun writing skills, as well as individual values, through their creative writing.”
I’m honored to receive the award for this humble blog that sometimes goes in strange directions. I’m supposed to pass the award along to five other blogs, but Amy already passed it to some blogs that I would have awarded it to.
So, here’s what I’ll do. The first five readers who haven’t yet received it and who comment on this blog saying their blogs fit the qualifications will be put on my list of blogs to consider. I’ll scope out your blog and up-date this one to reflect my choices.
I swiped this “Getting to Know You” meme from Blue Country Magic who’d swiped it from Facebook where I’d also seen it and had been tagged a couple of times. Like Blue Country Magic, I am not tagging anyone, but if you wish to answer these questions, please do. (I would award Blue Country Magic the Premios Dardos award, but Amy beat me to it)
1. What time did you get up this morning? 5:40 a.m. I’m usually up between 5 and 6 or whenever the cat thinks I should get up.
2. How do you like your steak? On someone else’s plate. I’m not much of a steak-eater.
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? It’s been so long ago, I can’t remember. I can wait for the DVD.
4. What is your favorite TV show? The Big Bang Theory. Funny and cerebral. It’s one of the few shows I watch. (Who has time to watch TV?)
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Right where I am. Or maybe on one of my other farms.
6. What did you have for breakfast? Scrambled eggs, bacon, and coffee. It’s what I have most mornings.
7. What is your favorite cuisine? Down-home country cooking.
8. What foods do you dislike? Raw fish—that’s bait as far as I’m concerned. Mexican—or anything with hot sauce or that’s highly spiced or carby. Chinese plays havoc with my blood sugar levels, so that’s out.
9. Favorite Place to Eat? It varies. Currently I like the diner in Moneta or the Westlake Country Club. Both are good places to do lunch.
10. Favorite dressing? Ranch
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? PT Cruiser (the official geriatric sports car) and a 94 Dodge truck (with a towing package).
12. What are your favorite clothes? Jeans and T-shirt in summer, sweats in winter, and orthotically enhanced sneakers.
13. Where would you visit if you had the chance? British Isles, especially Scotland. Maybe Australia.
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? Depends on whether I’m drinking or pouring.
15. Where would you want to retire? Right where I am. Right where I did.
16. Favorite time of day? Sunrise
17. Where were you born? Lewis-Gale Hospital (the old one that’s been torn down) in Roanoke, VA
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? Pleasure classes at horse shows; sometimes show-jumping.
19. Who do you think will not tag you back? Nobody. I’m not into tagging.
22. Bird watcher? Yes, but only the ones who visit my feeder, my flowers, or my property.
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? Morning person. But I’m a frequent afternoon nap person.
24. Do you have any pets? Two horses, four dogs, six full-time cats, one part-time cat, and impending kittens.
25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? Ferradiddledumday, my Appalachian version of “Rumpelstiltskin,” will be out from Cedar Creek Publishing in mid-January.
26. What did you want to be when you were little? At various times a cowgirl, a lab technician, a clerk in a store, an artist. I remember I didn’t want to be a teacher. However, I became a teacher.
27. What is your best childhood memory? Going to the pony rides on Williamson Road.
28. Are you a cat or dog person? Cat, dog, and horse.
29. Are you married? Yes—for nearly 42 years. Same person.
30. Do you always wear your seat belt? Yes, on public roads. Not always when driving through my fields.
31. Been in a car accident? A couple of times, but not recently. My cars (a 77 Pinto and an 84 Mustang) sustained damage but I didn’t. The other person’s insurance always covered the repairs.
32. Any pet peeves? Yeah, many—newspapers that “recycle” news or get things just plain wrong, high heels, and balloon releases are three that leap to mind.
33. Favorite pizza topping? I rarely do pizza (the blood sugar thing again), but I love black olives as a topping.
34. Favorite Flower? Make that flowers. The rose, gladiola, and iris are at the top of my list
35. Favorite ice cream? Kroger’s French vanilla. Breyer’s peach is a close second. Then strawberry.
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? None.
37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? None. (Do people really fail that? I mean, they give you a manual to study!)
38. From whom did you get your last email? An equine list.
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? I have only one card that I use for one grocery store and I pay off my balance at the end of each month. People who max out credit cards are ruining the economy (add that to my pet peeves). I never buy what I can’t afford.
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? I stopped at Appomattox to take pictures last Saturday.
41. Like your job? What job? I love retirement.
42. Broccoli? Like it—especially in a casserole with cheese.
43. Kids? None—except the cats, dogs, and horses.
44. Last person you went out to dinner with? It’s been so long, I can’t remember. I’m usually a “do lunch” person, not someone who goes out to dinner. The dinner hour around here is when I feed and water a bunch of critters.
45. What are you listening to right now? The sound of papers being rearranged on my desk by a cat.
46. What is your favorite color? Blue.
47. How many tattoos do you have? None. I also don’t have any piercings.
48. How many are you tagging for this quiz? None. I’m not much into Internet games.
49. What time did you finish this quiz? Why does that matter? Do I get extra credit for finishing early? Points taken off for taking too long?
50. Coffee Drinker? Yep. A couple of cups a day. Black. I wouldn’t desecrate a fantastic beverage by adulterating it with any additive.
I wonder what all the bots that infest the web and harvest info from posters will think of my answers?