Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Where’s George?

Last Friday, my husband took Ol’ Blue, my faithful 94 Dodge truck, to get inspected. After paying with a twenty for Ol’ Blue’s successful inspection, he received this dollar among the change. Take a look at it:


The front also has some marking on it, but it's a little hard to see:


To satisfy my curiosity, I went onto the “Where’s George?” website stamped on the dollar. The bill was marked up by a Taylorsville, Illinois, woman (registered as “WheatPenny”) on May 9. According to the tracking report on the website, the dollar traveled 554 miles and took 19 days, 23 hours, and 16 minutes to arrive in my hand.


After poking around the website, I’ve learned that a lot of people mark up money, register it on the "Where's George" site, and track it.

Why?
~

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

"Why?" is a good question for us Georgers. For me, it's really a question of geographic curiosity. I live in New Jersey and spend most of my money here. For all I know a bill that I spend at the local convenience store for a gallon of milk will be picked up by a businessman who's heading to Hawaii on vacation. Or London on business. Or just to spend it at the gas station down the road. It's like having a mini-history with every bill.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for responding, Scott. (My husband is also from New Jersey—he's a Rutgers grad.)

9:31 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

That's really cool! It would be fun to track your dollar.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I don't know Becky. I thought, wow, that's cool. But I don't know why I think that's cool!

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home