Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Autumn Wood Critters

When walking in the autumn woods, look around and what do you see? You might see a toad in the leaves:

This toad was near Polecat Creek.

On Smith Farm, I saw several interesting sights in the woods. Take a look. Do you see just roots, or do you see faces? Is this a gnome peeking from his underground hideaway?


What's this? At first I thought I saw a hippo's face, but now I'm not sure. Maybe it's a dog?


Is this elephant's foot just a tree trunk?


And what about this face midway up a tree trunk?


Look at only a detail of the above picture and you see a different face with one winking eye and puckered lips:


The neat thing about walking in the woods is that you never know what you'll see. But it'll darn sure pique your imagination.
~

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin Pedrero said...

GREAT POST! I live every day seeing images in objects. I specialize in showing people these images in my artwork.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I always look to the clouds...

9:04 AM  
Blogger Robin Pedrero said...

I have included a link to your post in my blog which will post at 12 am Oct 9. I see images in the sky and other objects and bring them out in my artwork. I share your post for others to use their imagination.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Odd Chick said...

I came to your blog thru Robin Pedrero's link. When I saw that you experience your art through everyday walk around life, and that you're also a hay farmer, I saw that we had a lot in common. I really enjoyed your blog.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home