Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fire on the Mountain

Shortly after posting about the windy day, we lost power during what the media calls "hurricane force winds." I'm posting this from my laptop which is plugged into a 12-volt battery, via a power inverter. Thank goodness the phone line still works!

The worst things about the day is not the widespread power outage (over 5,000 in Franklin County and more than twice that in Roanoke lost power) or even that some won't get power restored until Wednesday.

The worst things are the fires. There's a big one in Bedford County, a couple in Roanoke, and some in Franklin County—one at Penn Hall is close to one of our farms. But the only one I could see was the one on the backside of Smith Mountain.





I stood in my front yard when I took these pictures. Talk about close to home. . . .

Meanwhile, the wind still howls.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

I have a similar scene out my front window this morning. The fire is in Craig. Smoke is thickening up around my house. Cough!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I have not heard about the fires until now. We also were w/out power for 30 hours. We have NO alternate heat source, and we went out and got water to flush.

I am paranoid about fires. I woke up at 4:15 am and saw a red glow out my window (we're on the western side of the county). It freaked me out completely--until I realized it was the glow from the newspaper guy's taillights. (Eyes rolling)

Our power went back on at 6 tonight. It was 51F in the house, brrrrrr!

Have you seen the roof at JJ Fashions in Rocky Mount? It's in the back parking lot...

http://kristine-jewelsofmyown.blogspot.com/

12:35 AM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Haven't been to Rocky Mount yet. I'd heard the roof blew off, though. (I wonder if they'll be having a wind sale.)

7:00 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Our shop on Peters Creek STILL doesn't have power. Shannon hauled the generator in this morning hoping to use at least one lift. He said the ONLY good thing about losing power is the fact that he doesn't have to hear the phone ring all day long. They've been told it may be as late as Friday before the power is restored!

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home