Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My Horoscope was Right

Last Friday morning, before I left to go to Lake Writers, I read my horoscope:
Today you could be hit with some exciting news, dear Virgo. It could involve new people and new equipment coming onto the scene. It could involve an entirely new project or course of action that you would never have dreamed of. This is likely to shape up to be a lucky break for you, as the new situation probably suits your skills and talents nearly perfectly. Make the most of this opportunity. It could make a big difference for you.
Yeah, right, I thought.

When I came home about 2:oo p.m., I found an email offering me the position of Writer in Residence at Roanoke County Schools. The job sounded intellectually stimulating; the money was pretty good. I’d work for a total of 35 days at 5 different high schools.

But I’d gotten used to the idea of never having to classroom teach again. Plus we’re talking a 40-mile commute here. I decided to spend the weekend thinking about this "entirely new project."

Yesterday I accepted the job. I’ll be back in the classroom again, where I'll "make the most of this opportunity."

My last "retirement" didn't last as long as I thought it would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home