Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Freeing My Brain Cells

As of September 6, 2006, I’ve won 2,419 games of Freecell on my eMac since April 4, 2005. I tell myself that playing keeps my brain active and, as long as I keep winning, I probably don’t have Alzheimers. Every day (except Sunday when I spend more time reading the paper), I also complete the newspaper’s crossword puzzle and do Jumble, The Scrambled Word Game.

I’ve read several articles that say we can stave off senility by exercising our brains. Working puzzles and playing computer games are supposed to be good brain exercise. In fact, some games are even marketed to us, ahem, older folks.

I find that playing Freecell, one of many variations of computer solitaire, is also a good writing exercise as well as a good brain exercise. The object is to get all the cards in four stacks. First, of course, you have to get the aces, then the twos, etc.

Playing Freecell is like plotting a story. First, locate the aces and send them where they’re supposed to go as efficiently as possible—start the action early. Then take care of the supporting details. Finally, wrap up the loose ends. If what you’re doing isn’t working, start over.

Keep at it long enough and you win.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Coffee Bastard said...

If you want to ward off Alzheimers then you need to be drinking more coffee, and now you know where to find it. Thanks for introducing Ida B Peevish she raised more than the occassional titter.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your just not blogging enough if you have time for computer games! (I'm just kidding I hope you know).

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home