Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Ads of Age

When you get old elderly, there's a big increase in certain kinds of mail you get—ads from retirement communities and funeral homes, for instance. Here are a couple I recently found in my mailbox.


So, I can "enjoy nature" at an upscale old folks' home? I've driven past the one in the above ad, and I didn't see much nature. I did see a very busy road going past it.


As for the funeral pre-planning, that's something I've been planning to do (my mother prepaid her burial arrangements and it worked very well). After all, I already have a tombstone* marking my spot in the family cemetery.



 I plan to opt for the "single cash payment"instead of the layaway plan "affordable monthly payments."

The strangest elderly-targeted mail that came recently was a card that unfolded. From the front, I thought it might be some sort of a humorous greeting card.


But it wasn't. I unfolded it to reveal this:


Was someone laughing at another's allergies, maybe? That's not funny. I opened another fold:


If you're having trouble reading that page (elderly with poor eyesight, perhaps), here's a closer look.


Carilion Clinic, our local health-related mega-business, is advertising for one of its, uh, services?!


I didn't find Carilion's attempt at humor laughable at all. In fact, it pissed me off.
~

*Actually, my second tombstone; the first one went missing.



Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

Ha. Your last line is great. That is a terrible ad from Carilion, you're right.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home