Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, April 05, 2015

Easter Morning 2015

This morning, I rode the golf-cart around the property to look at things in bloom. Most of the daffodils had already bloomed, but these were apparently late-bloomers.


The redbuds are just starting to bud.


The forsythia is ablaze, though.


Dogwoods still have a way to go.


These tulips are in deep shade, but still they bloom.


The big maple in the side yard shows promise.


The corkscrew willow and cherry tree have green leaves already.


Remember the A. E. Housman's poem about cherry trees from "A Shropshire Lad"?

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

Yellow tulips near the wall.


They're also near the bridal wreath.


A cat is near the bridal wreath, too.


I'm a few months away from my "threescore and ten," and I sometimes need a bit of help to go about my property. But I'll never tire of looking at things in bloom.

~

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

Lovely post.

2:24 PM  
Blogger R.M. said...

And a happy Easter to you, too!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home