Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, August 01, 2014

Cat Care Package

A guest post by Tanner
(Resident Cute Kitty)

Today was rainy, so just about everyone stayed in, except for Dylan and Jim-Bob who sat on the front porch and grumbled because they couldn't do their cat-work. Even George who doesn't like to come inside much came in for a nap. I didn't think much was going to happen today.


Then the mail came and my mommy got a package from her friend Polly who lives 200 miles away. She and Mommy have been friends for 50 years even though they don't see each other very often. Since it was a box, I was interested. So was my bestest friend Chloe.


Mommy said I could have the box after she took everything out if I wanted it. I did. I told Chloe that it was my box and she wasn't to mess with it. Chloe is a little bit pushy.


The box was a perfect size. I just fit! It even had good crinkly paper that I could scrunch to my specifications. There had been some newspaper in it, but Mommy wanted to look at that. I figured I had enough paper without it. The box fit right into my neighborhood.


Chloe kept hanging around, but I made sure she wasn't going to get my box. If there had been room, I might have let her join me, but there was only room for one kitty, and that kitty is Tanner.


I had a pretty good view from my box, too.



I'm glad Mommy removed her stuff from the box stuff. Otherwise there wouldn't have been room for me. One thing was a coffee cup that said, "Our effortless friendship fits perfectly with my laziness." Mommy thought that was funny, but I don't get it.


She got a pretty nice lamp that I wouldn't mind having. She let me have a close look at it. It had several cats sitting in a chair. Mommy called it a lamp for crazy cat ladies.


I would have liked that lamp in my condo, but I couldn't figure how to plug it in. Plus it needs a bulb, and I don't know how to get one.


I liked this little metal kitty figure. It would have looked good in my condo, too, but Mommy said I could only look. I really wanted to bat it around. I could move its springy tail with my paw.


Mommy also let me look at the picture frame she got. She said she will have to put my picture in one of the spaces. I think she should put my picture in all the spaces because I'm the cutest cat in the household.


Mommy also got a little blue bag with "The best antiques are old friends" written on it. Mommy is pretty old, so I guess she's an antique. Her friend probably is too.


I let George look at the bag because it coordinated so nice with his hair.


Then Mommy took all her things away because she said they weren't meant for cats. She can be selfish that way. George went back to sleep.


The package made Mommy very happy, so thank you Aunt Polly for sending it to her! Thank you for my box, too. I think I got the best present, but Mommy might disagree. 

I wonder if Chloe will still be my bestest friend 50 years from now. If so, then maybe I'll share my box with her.
 ~ ~ 

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

We all should have such friends. Nicely done.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Those cats have the life.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home