Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Cool Book Event

Well, cooler than at home where the temperature went over 100F.

Yesterday, I went to Meadows of Dan to participate in the "Meet the Authors" event at the 8th Annual Crafts in the Meadow Festival at Mountain Meadow Farm. Here's the meadow. . .


. . . and, beside the meadow, a corn field that will become a corn maze this fall.


Over a dozen regional authors displayed their work under the big tent, and a few more set up smaller tents nearby. A breeze blew through the tent most of the afternoon. I don't think the temps there ever went above the mid-80s.


It didn't take me long to set up my display.


While I focused on selling my Cedar Creek Press-published books, Stuck and Ferradiddledumday, I brought my other books also. While I sold copies of those two books, The Girl Who Raced Mules, a collection of my mostly-winning short stories, also proved popular. I think the many of the festival's attendees were interested in Appalachian literature.


A few other Appalachian writers were there, too. Doris Musick, a member of the Appalachian Authors Guild, was there. (I brought home three of her books.)


Charles Lytton had his down-home books there, both of which I've already read and enjoyed. (A review of his first one is on my blog.) Plus he kept sipping a clear liquid from a mason jar.


Charles (standing) is making a sale. Sitting is Aaron McAlexander, who wrote a family memoir. 


Aaron's family has deep roots in Mayberry, Va, which is not far up the road from where the festival was. I came home with a copy of his book. I couldn't resist the title.


Michael Abraham, who arrived via motorcycle, brought several of his books including his recently published, Providence, VA.


Karen Hall had her regional history books there.


Here's Karen (left) with Tom Perry of Laurel Hill Publishing, the publisher of her latest book, Once and Forever: The Story of Mount Airy Granite.


Another Laurel Hill author, Avis Turner, had her wonderful family memoir there. I'd gotten a copy of In the Land Where Fairies Cried Tears of Stone: Grandma's Story when Avis and I were both at Binding Time's Spring Book Festival back in April.


Tom, who is also a local historian besides a publisher, was keeping cool under his tent:


Just across from me in the main tent were some North Carolina writers—Mary Flinn, Jane Tesh, and Laura Wharton. We had a good time chatting and enjoying the breeze. I look forward to reading some of their work.

 

Sue Shelor, organizer of the event, served us lunch in the tent. This was a delightful surprise. 

There were several other authors with whom I chatted briefly, but I didn't take pictures. It was nice to meet them for the first time, and I look forward to seeing them again. It was also nice to meet so many customers who love regional books.

Most of the crowd came early. By mid-afternoon, some authors and crafters were leaving, so I decided to leave, too. On the way out, couldn't help stopping to take some pictures of a very old church. Built in 1833, Concord Primitive Baptist Church is mentioned on page 30 in Aaron McFarland's book.


Below, you can see a long row of tables that were no doubt used for dinner on the grounds.


Just to the left of the tables, and tucked away in the trees, are the "facilities."


Down the road a bit more, I also stopped by Greenberry House, where Leslie Shelor was having a yard sale. She had plenty of ole-timey stuff for sale.


Leslie had reviewed Patches on the Same Quilt years ago and had reviewed Ferradiddledumday prior to its publication. After leaving her shop, I turned onto Route 58 and headed home. 

Of course, a few miles later, I had to stop by Lover's Leap, one of my favorite mountain vistas, and take a picture:


 As I left Lover's Leap, my car's thermometer showed the outside temperature as 86F. The closer I got to home, the temperature rose higher and higher. When I was less than a mile from the Franklin County line, it read 100.

However, when I pulled into my driveway, it was down to 98. That's not much cooler, but it beats 100.
~





Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for the breeze blowing through the tent. That sounds heavenly!

A hot one again today and probably storms tonight so hang onto your hat!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a fun day, despite the heat. And kudos to Sue for putting the whole event on! Way to go, Becky -- good blog post!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice photos, Becky! thanks for covering the event this way! And kudos to Sue for hosting the event. It was a lot of fun.

4:32 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Sounds like a fun event. Way to go.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home