Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Nature's Gold

Today, I wandered around Smith Farm and looked at leaves. Mother Nature did a pretty good job with the leaves, didn't she?



A few trees had red leaves, and there were some brown ones, too. 



Most of the trees, however, sported golden leaves.




Seeing so many golden leaves reminds me of the first and last stanza of "Gold Leaves," by G.K. Chesterton:

Lo! I am come to autumn,
When all the leaves are gold; 
Grey hairs and golden leaves cry out
The year and I are old.
...
In youth I sought the golden flower
Hidden in wood or wold,
But I am come to autumn,
When all the leaves are gold.



But, according to Robert Frost, "Nothing Gold Can Stay":

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

In a few weeks, the trees will be bare. Nothing gold can stay.

But I'll enjoy the leaves while I can.
~

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty! The golds here are all on the ground.. just reds and browns left on the trees and they too are fast disappearing. I've enjoyed the autumn colors this year!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Franz X Beisser said...

Great. I love the pics and poetry.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home