Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Murder at Smith Mountain Lake?

Who is killing people at Smith Mountain Lake? Before she can stop the murderer, Aurora Harris—with help from her dog—must first uncover the Secrets at Sweetwater Cove.
Sally Roseveare’s new book, Secrets at Sweetwater Cove, is now available from Infinity Publishing. It isn’t on Amazon yet, but it should be in about a month. By next week, it should be at the gift shops around Smith Mountain Lake. And, of course, Sally will soon have some copies.


Folks around the lake have been waiting for years for Secrets at Sweetwater Cove. Sally’s Lake Writer buddies, who’ve heard her read excerpts, have been waiting, too. As one of her Beta readers, I’ve had a chance to read the book in its entirety. And I was impressed.

If you liked her first book, Secrets at Spawning Run, you’ll love Secrets at Sweetwater Cove. The book is indeed full of secrets. From the back cover:

The prestigious Sweetwater Cove community sprawls along Smith Mountain Lake. Expensive homes on two-acre lots line the 18-hole golf course. Condominiums dot the waterfront. But is Sweetwater Cove really sweet? Hessie Davis lives in Sweetwater. Why is she wandering, lost, on Smith Mountain? Tom Southerland is building a home in Sweetwater. Why has Tom disappeared? Realtor Carole Barco shows Sweetwater properties. Why is Carole running for her life? Teenager Kurt Karver lives in Sweetwater. Who wants Kurt dead? What secret lurks at La Grande Maison? With her dog King’s help, Aurora Harris struggles to uncover the SECRETS AT SWEETWATER COVE.

Since I’ve already read the book, I know the answers to the above questions. I also know that Sally, meticulous in her approach to mystery writing, has crafted a compelling plot with lots of twists and surprises. She’s skillfully blended real locations with ones she’s created; if you don’t know the Smith Mountain Lake area, you won’t be able to tell which is which.

The main characters in her first book appear in Secrets at Sweetwater Cove, but it isn’t necessary that you read Secrets at Spawning Run first in order to enjoy this one. Secrets at Sweetwater Cove stands on its own merits.

I’m not going to give away the plot, but here’s the beginning of the book:

Friday, September 22

He turned left and drove past her car. Their eyes met. She shuddered, blinked, and he was gone, lost in the five o’clock traffic. Behind her, horns blared when the light changed to green. The black Lab in the back seat whined. Aurora Harris glanced in the rear view mirror. A driver yelled and shook his fist. Embarrassed, Aurora steered her Jeep through the intersection.

She drove into a parking lot and shut off the engine, her knuckles white from gripping the steering wheel. Never before had she looked into such eyes—cold, calculating, dangerous. The eyes of the devil, she thought. Eyes she’d never forget.

At home that evening, Aurora told her husband about the fleeting encounter.

“So what color was his hair?” Sam asked.

“I don’t know.”

“Was he short, fat, what?”

“I don’t know.”

“Black? White? Mexican? Chinese? An extra-terrestrial being? Come on, Aurora.”

“Sam, I’m sorry. I just don’t know.”

“So you’re telling me that even though this man’s eyes scared you half to death, you have no clue what he looks like?”

“Right. But if I ever see those eyes again, I’ll know him. He’s evil, Sam. And dangerous.”

Are you hooked yet?
~
Update: On July 14, Sally appeared on the Blue Ridge Library's "Cover to Cover" show on BTW Channel 21. You can watch the podcast (#106) here. Betsy's Ashton's Laker Weekly article about Sally is here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Wow! Thanks for the great plug, Becky! As a writer yourself(A really good one!)you know how rewarding it is to have a labor of love published.

9:24 AM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Congrats to your friend! I heard her read part of this at a writing event in May and thought it sounded very intriguing.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I emailed Sally and asked her to let me know when she will be doing signings. I want to be the first in line for a copy! It sounds wonderful.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

That book sounds really interesting. I will definitely buy a copy and get a copy of her first book too. I love to read and I love mysteries.

You have an award over at my blog.

9:28 PM  
Blogger KathyA said...

I ALWAYS appreciate book recommendations! Thanks.
I'm going to you via Sweet VA Breeze and will be back. Please come visit me as well.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home