Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Melody Orders Hay

Cupcake: Hmmm. Not much to eat. Melody, what should we do?


Melody: I'll call in an order. Now where did I put my cellphone?

Melody's human servants receive her message and drive a couple of miles to the farm to get her hay. Then they have to get the tractor and head for where the bales are stored .


Then spear a bale and haul it to the trailer behind the truck. This is a lot of work, but Melody can be very insistent when she's hungry.


After the hay is on the trailer, it's hauled back home and into the pasture. It doesn't hurt to have a farm truck with 4-wheel drive.


Melody: What took you so long? We've been waiting!


Melody: Could you back it up just a bit?


Melody: Well, put it right there.


Melody: I'd better take a closer look.


Melody: Smells OK.


Melody: Spring 2008, you say? That's a decent vintage. Let me taste it.


Melody: Oh, yeah. This'll do fine.


Melody: You didn't want any did you, Cupcake?
~

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger KathyA said...

Melody and Cupcake are beautiful! And they have wonderful and thoughtful humans as well. :)

8:39 PM  
Anonymous claudia said...

Where was her cell phone??????????????????????????

9:20 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Um, she has two trail saddle pads that have velcro pockets. Maybe there? Or maybe hanging from the fence? Or maybe Maggie was using it in the kennel?

I have not actually seen Melody with a cellphone, but I figure the "huh-huh-huh" I sometimes hear coming from the paddock is her ringtone.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Hi Becky,
Your horses are beautiful. What beautifully shiny coats they have.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Melody needs to learn to share. Great photos!

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Cupcake better hurry up... ;-)

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

2:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Faris said...

Wow. I feel like I'm out there with you!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Elana Johnson said...

I can't believe Melody couldn't call in her order. *wink*

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home