Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Grave Matters

Yesterday, my cousins Gloria and Joyce and I cleaned off the Smith family graveyard on my Union Hall farm. Joyce's husband James mowed.


At first I thought it might be too wet because we'd had a hard rain on Friday night, but it wasn't too bad. The place looked a lot neater after we'd gotten all the leaves out.


After we'd cleaned the graveyard, we walked down to what's left of the old homeplace and tried to remember which outbuildings used to be where. The buggy shed, henhouse, smokehouse, cow shed, horse and mule stalls, spring house, and a few other buildings are long gone.

I plan to mulch one of the graveyard flowerbeds before long. Today I bought a bunch of flowers to plant on Mama's grave (at the left).

I also plan to replace my stolen tombstone that used to be in the corner behind my grandparents' stone (on the right). In fact, when my stimulus check arrives, I'm going to use it as partial payment.
~

6 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Hmmm. I haven't thought about what I'll do with my stimulus check. I love your tie-dyed shirt Miss Becky!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Cyn said...

Mrs. Mushko,
I recently purchased your book Patches on the Same Quilt. I thought it would be interesting as I lived in Penhook as a child. After reading the first three chapters, I realized there were pages missing from the fourth and fifth chapters. Pages 40, 41, 44, 45, 48, 49, 52 & 53 are blank. Is there a way for me to get a copy of those pages, so I can read the book in its entirety?
Thanks,
Cindy Headen
Martinsville, VA

10:18 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

To Cyn—I'll be glad to replace the book. Let me know where I should send a copy/

10:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Becky, good work on the clean up detail.
New subject -
Wife Mireille and i will be at Avenel
Sunday afternoon June 7 guided by people you probably know. Tried to email you but you seem to have changed your address. I thought this might be an occasion to meet and thank you for your advice and encouragement, which I should try put to greater advantage. In any case, if I can find you in the phone book, I'll give you a call.
Farrar Richardson

5:33 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Hello, Farrar,

June Goode has already contacted me, and I plan to be there. I look forward to meeting you and your wife.

Note to Cindy: The book went out in today's mail. Look for it soon.

Becky

5:37 PM  
Blogger Cyn said...

Becky,
Thanks a bunch!
Cindy

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home