Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bits From the Blogosphere

Happy Winter Solstice!

Lately, I’ve cruised around the blogosphere, where I’ve found myself enlightened, amused, and entertained. Sometimes a combination of all three.

On the Editorial Anonymous blog, in which an editor gives an inside look at what editors do, I found some words of wisdom. In one particular post, the anonymous editor answers a reader’s question about writing under a pseudonym. But these two paragraphs from her answer could apply to a lot more situations than using a pen name:

We meet lots of people under the mistaken impression that they need to be bizarre to be seen as original. That being imaginative is an excuse for being impossible. That being an artist is a substitute for being honest.

No. The unbridled freedom of your creativity does not give you license to behave like a total weirdo. Feel free to wear your wolf suit when you go visiting the wild things. But if you expect any damn dinner, you'll put some pants on.

Something to think about on this Winter Solstice.

Something else to think about: what books should all women read? There’s a list of seventy-five books every woman should read posted on Jezebel. (OK, Jezebel isn't a blog. But heard about it from reading someone's blog.)

I’ve read twenty-one books on the list and own two others that I haven’t gotten around to reading yet.

Perhaps I’ll celebrate the solstice by reading. I doubt I’ll do house work because . . .


Maybe I’ll pop over to the Surrealist Compliment Generator and see what compliments await. When I tried it the other day, I generated these compliments:

Your wit, your teeth, your pasty reflection can but incorporate freely into the powerful surface of a disintegrating mirror set afloat upon a swarm of locusts.

I love your eyes, but only with ketchup.

Every time, you hit the reload button, you generate another compliment. Theoretically, you could compliment yourself—surreally—for hours.

Perhaps I’ll pop over to the Six Word Blog. Each day’s post never takes long to read. Friday’s post was “Child rearing: not for the weak.” Last Sunday’s was “Another day, another disaster, another depression.” The comments are each six words, too.

If I wanted to celebrate the Solstice in a Druidish fashion, perhaps I’d retake the “What Kind of Druid Animal Are You Quiz.” My results from last time:

Inspiring is what you are, Air Dragon, with insight and vitality to spare. You are a bolt of lightning to the psyche, a freshness for the intellect, and someone who needs to be treated with respect. Use your insight wisely, and you shall be rewarded, for you are the Messenger of the Sky God.


So much to do, so little daylight time. Especially if you're a Messenger of the Sky God.
~

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

Loved this entry. I have read 20 books on that list and I am a wise salmon! Thanks for the links. Happy Solstice!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

Wonderful Blog!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Solstice!
Mom is here...
a pile of books to read...
ran the dogs to the creek where I shut the engine down and lay back on my machine and to the sky I said a solstice prayer...check my blog...

1:07 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I am an earth dragon. Glad to know we're peaking, the days are getting longer now and the worst is over.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home