Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

An Unroll in the Hay

On Thursday, John had put a fresh round bale in the pasture. This would get the horses through the ice storm and for several days thereafter. A round bale usually lasts Melody and Cupcake at least a week.

When I went to feed this morning, I noticed something odd. The bale wasn't there.


Well, the hay was there, but it had been unrolled. At the end of the roll, Cupcake nibbled the choicest bits. Between Cupcake and where the bale used to be was a path of destruction.


Let's take a closer look:


Yep, that's the unrolled bale. That's Cupcake, doing what she does best: eating. Now, I know that Cupcake probably didn't unroll the hay. That's what Melody likes to do. I've caught Melody doing it in the past. But where is Melody?

Aha! she's hiding in the run-in shed! "Melody, why did you unroll the bale?"


Melody: "What makes you think I did it? You can't prove it was me. Just because I've unrolled bales in the past doesn't mean I did it. Maybe the dogs got out and did it. Maybe Cupcake did it. Maybe you did it and are trying to blame me!"

Me: "Melody, methinks thou doth protest too much. Plus I recognize your work when I see it."


Eventually, we'll get to the bottom of this.

~

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Marion said...

Good one. Made me laugh. And obviously Melody is as innocent as OJ. She'll be off knocking on doors soon, looking for the REAL culprit.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Not only do Melody's long legs enable her to paw high enough to unroll round bales, but they also enable her to reach high enough to bang on the top of the ice when the water tubs freeze. Unfortunately, she doesn't clean her hooves first.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Nice picture in the end (pun intended)! Emma is sitting next to me pointing out the "horse butt." Thanks Emma.

What smart horses you have! And they can talk too! Great post!!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Maybe she wants cattle. That's what my neighbors do with their round bales when they feed the cows--they unroll it all right across the pasture. Get her a couple of cows to raise.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home