Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, May 04, 2012

One May Morning

Last evening, a shower blew through. We didn't get a bad storm, but folks around us did. The sky above Smith Mountain looked like this: 


A few minutes later, it looked like this: 


What a difference 12 hours can make! Before sunrise this morning, the sky over the mountain looked like this:



Melody woke up with a case of "bed-head." Or would that be "bed-body"? She obviously slept in the shavings last night and didn't even shake herself clean before having breakfast.


When the sun came up, the trees on the horizon glowed And the iris looked almost luminous.


The peach tree hung heavy with fruit. A few hours later, my husband propped up the branch so the mailbox wasn't blocked.


The Iris bloomed behind the peach tree.




The kale and mustard in my garden were ready for picking. A few hours later, I did pick some mustard greens for lunch.  I've been eating from these greens all week.


Little Chloe glowed in the morning sun.


By the gazebo, the sage bloomed.


The sun shone through the welcome flag, and yellow snapdragons bloomed.


And that's how this May 4th morning began. 

One of my favorite songs is "One Morning in May," also known as "Across the Blue Mountains." Robin and Linda Williams do a haunting version of it. Here they are singing it on Prairie Home Companion several years ago:


~


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Such pretty pictures of a beautiful May morning! I love kale and could eat it every day.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Lovely pictures. And I especially enjoyed the video of Robin and Linda Williams. I've seen them perform several times, and they are fabulous. Robin is the cousin of one of my high school friends. Robin and Linda performed at my friend's son's rehearsal party in New Orleans. Loved them then, love them now.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home