Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Heat and Corn

We've had so many days of 90+ degree heat that I've lost count. And I don't even want to think about the humidity. Despite the high humidity, we've had little rain for the last two weeks. Nonetheless, the corn across the road is high.


Is it as high as an elephant's eye? I guess that would depend upon the size of the elephant. It's as high as the road sign at the intersection, though.


Look how dry and crusty the grass is getting—and how dry the bottom of the genetically modified corn is. My Natchez White crape myrtles are blooming, though.


So is my other crape myrtle at the end of the driveway.


Here's another view of the crape myrtle, intersection, road sign and corn:


And the opposite view:


The high corn blocks my view and is kind of oppressive. When the ears form, the local bear and deer population will come for snacks. 

Looking up the driveway toward the house, you can see how the lawn is getting dry. A few weeks ago it was emerald green.


Some flowers by the gazebo are still hanging on, though.


Near the house, we've had a bumper crop of Queen Anne's Lace that came up voluntarily.


The crape myrtle by the deck grows higher every year. I'm pretty sure it's higher than two or three elephants' eyes if you stacked the elephants on top of each other.


But it's dry.
~

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Franz X Beisser said...

Nice place! If this heat keeps up and the corn starts popping on the stalk, you can say, "ooh it's snowing," and lay back to cool off.

3:26 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

It's dry here, too. The corn around here doesn't have many ears on it. I think it is because of the lack of rain.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Arlee Bird said...

Just looking at the photos you can't tell that it's hot and dry, but I can certainly imagine.


Lee
Tossing It Out

6:33 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

We also got a bumper crop of Queen Anne's lace.

I saw one of the farmers down on 40 with one of those big machines spraying out water on his corn.

When I walked across the lawn, my feet leave prints, it's so dry.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home