Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Population Explosion

Yesterday, Olivia looked like she was about to burst.


She looked the same way late last night when I returned from night #2 of my high school reunion.

Early this morning, when I went to get the paper, Olivia was flat-sided. She was also bloody. I checked the boxes and other nesting places I'd prepared for the, uh, event.

Nothing.

I figured she'd lost her kittens. That didn't surprise me. After all, she still has some health issues and was in bad shape a couple of months ago when she'd no doubt met one of the neighborhood tom-cats.

Anyhow, she trotted along with me to the mailbox as if nothing were amiss, sat with me in the gazebo while I read the paper, and cleaned herself. When I went back to the house fifteen minutes later, she trotted along.

A few hours later, John said he heard mewing in the garage. He followed the sound and saw Olivia's foot sticking out of one of the carpet-covered cat towers that the other cats no longer use.

He looked inside. Yep, you guessed it.

When he came into the house, he said he saw two kittens. Later, I peeked in and saw four.


It's too soon to tell if they'll make it or not. I don't think one will, so I'm trying not to get attached.
~

7 Comments:

Blogger KathyA said...

AWWWW! Congratulations to Olivia. She obviously sees you as one of her pride...that she came to you after giving birth is really special.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Faris said...

Kittens. They're so cute! I pray both survive.

12:03 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Is Olivia able to care for them? When I first married a stray came around and had kittens in the basement of the house we rented. She was a wild cat and I couldn't get near her. It wasn't until I saw her catch a bird and drag it into her kittens that I realized she had no milk. By then I was too late to save them. It always make me sad to remember that.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Awww! The kittens are adorable. I know you were worried about them and Olivia, too. You and John saved Olivia's life; she'll never forget you for that. And one of these days she'll catch the mother of all mice and present you with it! Hope the kittens make it.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Congratulations on the new arrivals - so cute! I hope they will be fine.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kittens are always adorable and as they grow it's fun to watch them play... hope they become tame as there are certainly enough feral cats in the world.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

8:43 AM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

Dear Olivia,
meow moew mew mew mew,reow...
Love, Mac,Quarrie,Beau,Iris and Meghan
the 'yonder'cats

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home