Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

My Kind of Place

I love independent bookstores. Each has its individual charm. Yesterday in downtown Chatham, I visited a particularly charming bookstore, Shadetree Books.


Shadetree has rare books, old books, new books, books about Pittsylvania County, and books by local authors.


. . . a little something for everybody. (Yeah, I bought a book.)


In the back of the store, owner (and author) Henry Hurt has his own private library. It's huge! Here's a picture of part of it:


Is that cool, or what?

~

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

As usual, wish I had been there! Thanks for giving me ideas on where to visit for a great chance at a good buy!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Ahhh, this brings back happy memories! My Daddy owned a bookstore for twenty years before retiring in 2003. The roof leaked, we had uneven floors, and we had several groundhogs and squirrels visit, but I loved it. Our UPS man was as good as Santa Claus, and I'd get excited when a "new releases shipment" came in. There's nothing like the feel and smell of a fresh new book!

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home